A real nice third period, unsigned lantern clock with a high quality, bespoke double fusee spring driven movement fitted circa 1900. The clock strikes quarter hours on two bells (ting-tang), the second bell nested beneath the original bell that strikes the hours. The clock is wound weekly via the back plate leaving the original dial plate unaltered. The clock has a nice patina but can be supplied with resilvered dial and original alarm disk and bright brass case if desired.
This is a great way to enjoy a genuine 17th C lantern clock but with the convenience of a modern, quarter striking, shelf clock. 15 inches tall, 6.25 inch dial.
£1650. Fully operational and serviced
The posted countwheel bell-striking movement now with anchor escapement for regulation by short bob pendulum swinging outside the frame at the rear, the dial with central alarm disc within stylised symmetrical foliate engraved infill incorporating a winged female mask at twelve o'clock and with pierced black painted brass hand within applied narrow Roman numeral chapter ring with stylised fleur-de-lys hour markers and engraved with date nove -7 to the dial plate behind the V numeral, the upper angles engraved with signature Edward Webb. Typical 'Chew Valley' frame with one-piece column turned corner posts beneath lion and unicorn armorial engraved and pierced frets, integral multi-knopped tall vase-and-cover turned finials and domed bell bearer cast with pierced leaf decoration between the limbs, with brass side doors and iron backplate between hanging hoop above spurs to rear, on tall disc-knopped ball feet. 40cm (15.75ins) high.
Edward Webb is recorded in Moore, A. J. THE CLOCKMAKERS OF SOMERSET 1650-1900 as married to Anne with sons Walter (1667), James (1670), Richard (1674), George (1678) and William (?). He was probably the son of Charles Webb who owned a foundry in Chew Stoke. Both Edward and his wife Anne died in 1694. Nine lantern clocks by Edward Webb dated 1676, 1678, 1681, 1684, 1688, 1691, 1692, 1692 and 1693 are recorded with the 1684 and 1688 clocks fully described an illustrated in White, George English Lantern Clocks on pages 232 (Figures V/39 and 40), 233 (V/42 detailing date ‘March 10’ engraved beneath the chapter ring of the 1684 clock) and 237 (V/51 and 52). From the references it would appear that the present clock is currently an unrecorded example of Webb’s work.
Frame castings that were favoured by the Bristol and Chew Valley school of clockmakers with the earliest surviving example is by Edward Webb dated1676. All the other recorded lantern clocks by Webb use the same frame castings. These castings were also used by John London of Bristol, Thomas Veale of Chew Magna and latterly by Edward Bilbie of Chew Stoke (who is believed to have succeeded Edward Webb in around 1695). Bilbie appears to have persisted with the use of such castings long after Bristol makers had moved onto patterns more closely related to London work of the period, suggesting that such frames were probably cast locally (in the Chew Valley).
Distinctive dial engraving with scrolling foliage from a central point at the base of the dial centre, continuing symmetrically around the alarm disc and terminating with a central winged female mask motif at the top. The design of this decoration is typical of Webb and appears to have its roots in the work of Thomas Brown of Bristol who was most active during the 1650's (see White, George English Lantern Clocks page 232) and can can be directly compared to a clock by John Clarke of Bristol which was sold in Dreweatts salerooms on 15th September 2015 (lot 185) for £9,500 hammer.
Much of the wheel work had been renewed in the 19th century (fine workmanship). The great wheels and the strike train hoop wheel appear original. Original movement pivot bars. The strike detents, hammer, spring and stop appear original. There is evidence (holes in base, top and notch cut in centre and rear movement bars) that an alarm mechanism was fitted to the rear lower right hand corner of the frame now removed.
Spare holes to the top plate indicating that the clock originally ran with verge escapement and short bob pendulum - filled holes to the front and centre movement bars also confirm this.
Original dial, alarm disc and black brass hand. Original brass side doors, iron backplate, bellstand, frets and also retaining screws. The dial and frame retains old (19th/early 20th century) lacquer finish. Clock has short bob (anchor) pendulum.
The posted countwheell bell-striking movement with later anchor escapement for regulation by a seconds pendulum swinging behind the rear frame, the dial with engraved ring of stylised leafy tulip sprays issuing from a three-petal flowerhead positioned above six o'clock, and iron hand. Roman numeral chapter ring with stylised wheatear half hour markers and engraved leafy infill to angles, the standard London third period frame with column turned corner posts beneath dolphin pierced frets, vase turned finials and domed bell bearer, the sides with hinged brass doors and the rear with original iron backplate, 32.5cm (12.75ins) high excluding later top finial.
Provenance: By repute an important private estate, Cardiganshire.
A textbook example of London third period practice using frame castings developed probably just prior to 1660 (see White, George English Lantern Clocks page 180 figures IV/37 - IV/39 and lot 153). By this time the design of the dial engraving had also become relatively standardised and can be compared (along with the iron hand) with a clocks by numerous examples by the likes of Nicholas Coxeter, Richard Ames and Thomas Wheeler made during the 1660's-70's.
Movement retains almost all of its original wheel work but has been converted to endless rope system hence strike train has been reversed requiring hammer and stop etc. to be moved from the left hand side to the right hand side of the frame leaving vacant holes in the latter. The clock originally the clock ran a verge escapement regulated by balance wheel and has been converted (during the late 17th century) to anchor escapement and long pendulum. The escape wheel is therefore a replacement (but on original arbor) and there are spare hoes in the movement bars and top plate left over from balance wheel potances etc. The pinions and pivots show signs of historic wear.
The clock was also fitted with an alarm which was also removed during conversion to long pendulum leaving spare holes in the original iron backplate. The dial has is lacking the alarm disc otherwise it's in good condition with fine original iron hand. The side doors appear original as does the bell bearer and frets; the top finial is a replacement. Includes single weight and long pendulum.
Includes silvered dial, replaced alarm disk, and simple service.
A posted countwheel bell-striking movement with separately wound trains, iron pivot bars and verge escapement regulated by horizontal balance wheel oscillating above the top plate, with an iron dial now applied with a narrow brass Roman numeral chapter ring with stylised wheatear hour markers and generous sculpted brass hand, the frame with square section corner posts and diagonal bracing bars to the sides beneath scroll pierced iron frets, vase turned finials and domed bell bearer above, the sides with iron doors suspended from pin hinges applied to the edges of the conforming fixed backplate with hanging hoop and spurs, on turned ball feet, (escapement reinstated, with restorations and replacements mainly to exterior), 38cm (15ins) high.
Provenance: From the estate of Michael Hurst (cofounder of The Antiquarian Horological Society)
The movement with balance wheel regulation, separately would trains, iron hoop and count wheel date to the first half of the 17th century. The predominant use of iron in the clocks construction would suggest that it was made in a region where brass was in fairly short supply, this possibility is supported by relatively poor quality of the castings used for the original brass wheels of which most survive in the movement.
A related movement is illustrated in Loomes, Brian LANTERN CLOCKS & Their Makers on page 347-48 (Figs 20.21-23); as it seems that most other iron-framed lantern clocks are fitted with brass dials it is most likely that the iron dial on the current lot is a replacement.
Movement survives in its original configuration however both trains appear to have been re-pinioned (probably in the 18th century). The escapement, balance and related potances are more recent restorations as the clock has been reconverted back to balance wheel regulation from anchor and long pendulum.
The top and bottom plates appear original although the base is now drilled with additional holes for looping the lines. The finials, feet and posts appear old and there is no immediate reason to doubt their originality. The diagonals in the sides are not original and are only temporarily fixed in place for support.
Clock is complete with two weights.
£5890. Operational and serviced.